Information for New Families
Whether you're new to tackle football, or just to GPYFA, it can seem like an overwhelming amount of information to take in. Here's some details to help you.
Player time commitment:
- Players start in late July with a 3-day conditioning camp to help them prepare to start practice.
- Practices start in August, running 4 days per week until school starts. Once school starts practice runs 3 days per week.
- Camp and practices are usually weekday evenings and typically 1.5-2 hours in length starting around 6pm. Exact days and times may vary.
- Teams may have an occasional team-building (non-practice) event.
- Games on Saturdays typically start with younger teams at 9am and progress throughout the day. Warm-ups start 45 minutes before games.
GPYFA provides: helmet, shoulder pads, practice jersey, game jersey, Guardian Cap, practice and game pants (padded except Bantam & Seniors), and socks.
Players must provide:
- Cleats (molded rubber or plastic detachable)
- Mouth Guard, attached to face mask
- Girdle (Bantams & Seniors ONLY)
- Water Bottle
- Protective Cup (recommended)
- Gloves (optional)
IMPORTANT: Once your player has been issued equipment, have them wear their helmet ~30 minutes per day to get used to the feel and weight of the helmet. This will help move the break-in period earlier for more successful practices.
Ensuring player safety is our top goal. All coaches are USA Heads Up Certified.
Concussion: Fact Sheet for Athletes
Participation through volunteering for our families is key to ensuring a great season. All families are asked to volunteer or pay the opt-out fee during registration. Please see the volunteering page for more details.
You will want to download and install the TeamSnap application to your mobile device for the latest up-to-date information. This will be used for communicating schedules and locations. Look for an email invitation to join the team as Camp approaches.